Skip To Main Content

2412 - Diploma for Veterans

  • Policy

The district will issue a high school diploma to an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States who was scheduled to graduate from high school, but who left high school before graduation to serve in World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam era.

To be eligible for a diploma, the veteran or his or her representative must fill out the application provided by the Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs, provide evidence of eligibility and have substantial ties to the district.

Veterans are eligible for the diploma even if they subsequently earned a high school equivalency certificate or are deceased.

The superintendent will determine those veterans who have substantial ties to the district. Examples include, but are not limited to, living or having lived in the district, having attended school in the district, having children or other descendents who have attended school in the     district, having been employed by the district or volunteering in the district.


Board Policy 2410 - High School Graduation Requirements

Legal References:

RCW 28A-230-120    High school diplomas — Issuance — Option to receive final transcripts — Notice

RCW 41.04.005         “Veteran” defined for certain purposes

Management Resources:

Policy News, June 2008          Diplomas for Veterans

Policy News, June 2003          Honoring Veterans of the Korean Conflict

Policy News, April 2002         WWII Veterans May Receive Diplomas

Adoption Date:  May 16, 2005

Revised: August 20, 2008; December 16, 2015

  • 2000 Series
Policies & Procedures
Series 2000 - Instruction
Series 3000 - Student
Series 4000 - Community Relations
Series 5000 - Personnel Services
Series 6000 - Management Support


Looking for a Procedure?

Procedures are currently listed on each series page. Please find the policy that you are looking for and take note of the "Series" category associated with it. Click on the Series links above to access the appropriate page.