Senior Tax Program

Senior CitizenSouth Kitsap School District's Senior Tax Exchange Program offers qualifying residents an opportunity to receive a tax break on their local school tax (levy and bond) in exchange for their time and skills working within the South Kitsap School District.

The program was created in response to concerns of local citizens who are living on fixed incomes and are experiencing rising property taxes. The program also offers more opportunities to increase the contributions of senior citizens in public schools.

To qualify for the program, residents must meet all of the following criteria;

  • must be 62 years of age or older;
  • own and reside in their own home within the SKSD boundaries;
  • receive Social Security or retirement income;
  • have a gross household annual income of more than $40,000 and less than $65,000.

To apply for the program, click to download the PDF's

2020 STEP Application

2020 Program Information

Participating residents can provide their skills (valued at the current hourly Washington State minimum wage) to SKSD up to but not to exceed the resident's annual local school tax bill. The annual total may not exceed $430 per household. Participants will receive a two-party check payable to themselves and the Kitsap County Treasurer in time for the April and/or October collection deadlines. A minimum time donation is 20 hours and will be served between January and June, 2020. 

*Please note that application to this program does not guarantee acceptance. The applicant must successfully clear a Washington State Patrol background check and an interview before being accepted into the STEP program.

The next session will begin in January, 2020. Please check the SKSD website for an announcement on when applications will be accepted.
South Kitsap School District
Attn: Andrea Miner
2689 Hoover Ave SE
Port Orchard, WA 98366

For more information about the program, please call Andrea Miner, 360-874-7002.
Please note that Kitsap County offers another option for tax relief and information is available on the
Assessor's website.